- Location: Kanata, Ontario, Canada
- Area of Interest Engineer - Software
- Job Type Professional
- Technology Interest Cloud and Data Center
- Job Id 1229946
What You'll Do
You’re deeply motivated Python Developer and expected to deliver and lead through others, as well as personally working to reach innovative solutions to business problems You love to write scripts on python and customize it for his/her need. You're super thrilled to be the one responsible for power-on and bringing life to the most advanced networking system in the world. You would not hesitate to roll-up sleeves and probe hardware in the lab when required.
Role & Responsibilities
- Develop and enhance tools to optimize Cisco compile/test/contribute development process tailored for the current and future router software development and workflows
- Transform existing tools-Python to provide a state-of-the-art development experience to developers at Cisco
- These are highly complex, multi-threaded applications, written in Python. These are not your run of the mill Python 10-line scripts!
- Develop new tools and methods to increase the overall quality of the software releases while maintaining an agile development process
- Automate unit, functional and system testing
- Support our user community by responding reactively to problems
- Design and implement solutions to dedicatedly monitor our tools, to avoid creating reactive support
- Architect and improve the build systems to let us scale over multiple products
- Follow very strong, high quality internal Software Development practices
- Work within Agile (scrum) team environment.
Who You'll Work With
Modernizing the Software Development Environment at Cisco, combining best in class tools from industry and open source with extensive home-grown tools for use by engineers at Cisco. This job truly aims at changing the way every engineer at Cisco lives, plays, works and learns!
We are looking for a Python developer to join our Ottawa team developing multi-threaded commit-automation tools used by thousands of developers every day at Cisco.
The primary role is developing features to improve the commit automation time and stability. We are working this year to vastly increase the scale of commits happening while reducing the elapsed time. We need your help!
You will also get exposure to internal customer support and helping us to maintain a highly reliable, critical system.
But most of all, you will join us with a phenomenal attitude, and a great sense of humour!
Who You Are
- Proven understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals
- Excellent knowledge of programming languages, particularly Python and Java.
- Experience with Object Oriented concepts and development
- Familiarity with development in Unix/Linux environments
- Creative problem solving skills and excellent troubleshooting/debugging skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work towards long-term goals
- Ability to collaborate and work closely with teammates, but also self-sufficient and can work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Coding experience outside of school/course-work (links in your resume to GitHub are encouraged)
- 2+ years’ Experience developing software in a large (200+ person) organization
- May consider a strong Masters new grad; ideally with some work experience
- Previous experience in an Agile (Scrum) environment
- Intermediate level or higher of Python development experience
- Database fundamentals particularly with usage of MySQL (usage from the application; ideally with some administration)
- Hands-on experience in using source control and bug tracking systems: SVN, GIT, Gerrit, Perforce, ClearCase, Jira, BugZilla, etc.
- Experience developing custom tools and scripts to support a large software development lifecycle
- Strong understanding of UML and Django application servers
- We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking aggressive risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with rare personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
- We are leaders with vision, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.