Established in 1972, Thales Canada is a leading electronic solutions provider for the Transportation, Defence & Security, and Aerospace sectors. Thales Canada employs staff across main sites located in Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.
Thales is known for its People1st philosophy and provides a competitive salary and benefits package. Join a dynamic and fast paced organization which is growing as a result of exciting new domestic and international projects.
To support our development, we are seeking a Navigation Systems Manager to join our Ottawa team on a full time basis. The Navigation Systems Manager is responsible for the management of resources within the Navigation Systems Engineering Group and ensuring project work executed by the Navigation Systems Engineering Group is monitored and controlled in terms of adherence to budget, schedule, risk management, and quality of deliveries. The Navigation Systems Manager may, as required, participate in various phases of engineering projects including: overall engineering planning, requirements analysis, architectural design, preliminary and detailed design tasks, system integration, procurement planning, engineering and project risk management, and engineering close-out activities.
• Provide comprehensive discipline expertise in all areas of naval and commercial marine navigation systems in support of naval and commercial marine programs by reviewing (and as required developing) Proposals, Work Breakdown Structures (WBS), Scopes of Work (SOWs) and establishing budgets, schedules to ensure contract requirements are met;
• Provide technical guidance for systems engineers working in the navigation domain;
• Allocate resources from the Navigation Systems Engineering Group to projects according to business needs and priorities and provide technical direction, as required, for engineering and design activities;
• Identify resource needs for the Navigation Systems Engineering Group to meet business requirements;
• Provide technical input during reviews in order to achieve customer, classification society and regulatory compliance;
• Provide mentoring and technical advice to subordinate engineers in support of onboarding new staff and succession planning;
• Responsible (as required) for approving drawings and design documents of various navigation systems, including block diagrams, schematics and assemblies;
• Responsible for maintaining and developing internal processes and build standards for the navigation systems lifecycle (e.g. Design, Develop and Qualify the solution as per Chorus 2, requirements management, overall design, build, maintenance and in-service);
• Work with manufacturing partners, as required, to introduce designs into production and solve related manufacturing issues;
• Maintain domain knowledge of current technology and trends in commercial marine and naval navigation systems;
• Assist the Marketing Team on proposals;
• Support the performance management process by establishing measurable objectives for each member within the Navigation Systems Engineering Group and assessing each member’s contributions, professional skills, behaviours and results against the specified objectives;
• Support the professional development process by managing the development action plan for each member within the Navigation Systems Engineering Group.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
• Mechanical, Electrical, Software or Marine Systems Engineering University degree;
• Eligible for P.Eng. license required;
• 10 years’ experience in systems engineering;
• Comprehensive understanding of navigation systems and design standards for commercial and naval platforms following IMO and Class requirements;
• Demonstrated experience in specifying Integrated Navigation Systems, Integrated Bridge Systems, navigation radar systems, ECDIS, GPS, Autopilot, MET and other navigation related systems for naval and commercial marine platforms;
• Experience in ship design, build, operation and maintenance will be an asset;
• Experience with Canadian ship building requirements for shock and vibration, EMC/EMI, drawing standards and industry design standards;
• High level oral and written communication skills required for report writing and design justification documentation.
All applicants must be able to obtain a Canadian NATO Secret clearance and meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the Canadian Controlled Goods Registration Program and ITAR.
Thales is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applicants from the four designated groups (women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and aboriginals) to apply for employment. At Thales, we provide accessibility to people with disabilities. Should you require accommodations, please consult with your recruitment office and they will work with you to make any adjustments that best suit your individual needs.
Thales thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.