Established in 1972, Thales Canada is a leading electronic solutions provider for the Transportation, Defence & Security, and Aerospace sectors. Thales Canada employs staff across main sites located in Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.
Thales is known for its People1st philosophy and provides a competitive salary and benefits package. Join a dynamic and fast paced organization which is growing as a result of exciting new domestic and international projects.
To support our development, we are seeking a Contracts and Trade Compliance Manager to join our team on a full time basis in Ottawa. Reporting to the Director, Legal & Contracts, the Contracts & Trade Compliance Manager plays a dual role, and is responsible for (1) the negotiation and compliant execution of terms & conditions on assigned bids and contracts; and (2) the implementation and monitoring of the trade compliance program across all Thales Canada, Defence & Security activities. More specifically, the Contracts & Trade Compliance Manager will:
• Draft, structure, implement and manage medium to high complexity agreements including sales, purchases & services contracts, software license agreements, sponsorship agreements, etc.;
• Establish and maintain a solid working relationships with internal and external customers;
• Participate in the preparation of medium to high complexity bids and proposals;
• Prepare contractual memos for internal gate approval processes;
• Support in the negotiation of financial, technical and programmatic terms and conditions;
• Liaise with Procurement to facilitate the flow-down of terms and conditions to suppliers;
• Stay apprised of the evolution of each project by attending customer meetings, and liaising with the internal team;
• Ensure that the Thales Canada, Defence & Security site complies with all applicable trade compliance laws and regulations, including US International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and Export Administration Regulations (EAR );
• Be the local subject matter expert and provide guidance on trade compliance matters to all on-site internal and external stakeholders;
• Develop, implement, maintain and recurrently train staff on trade compliance policies and local operational procedures;
• Complete trade compliance assessments, including risks and requirements for all proposed export transactions during project phases;
• Oversee the export authorizations’ process to enable transactions to proceed, including permit or license applications from appropriate export licensing authorities;
• Perform classification assessment of Thales products to ensure proper handling and export of the product;
• Perform audits to improve the procedures implementation and mitigate risk; and
• Report any potential violations or other issues to the Director, Legal & Contracts, and Country Trade Compliance Officer.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
• A minimum of five years of experience with contracts and/or export control management, preferably in the Defence sector;
• Fluency in English and French preferable;
• Law or business degree an asset;
• Experience in government procurement and Defence contracting considered an asset;
• An interest in working in a fast-paced, demanding environment with a steep learning curve.
All applicants must be able to obtain a Canadian NATO Secret clearance and meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the Canadian Controlled Goods Registration Program and ITAR.
Thales is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applicants from the four designated groups (women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and aboriginals) to apply for employment. At Thales, we provide accessibility to people with disabilities. Should you require accommodations, please consult with your recruitment office and they will work with you to make any adjustments that best suit your individual needs.
Thales thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.