Established in 1972, Thales Canada is a leading electronic solutions provider for the Transportation, Defence & Security, and Aerospace sectors. Thales Canada employs staff across main sites located in Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.
Responsibilities included but not limited to:
The Marine Systems Manager is responsible for the management of resources within marine systems engineering and ensuring the delivery of compliant marine systems solutions. This person will participate in all phases of engineering projects including: requirements analysis, architectural design, preliminary and detailed design tasks, system integration, procurement planning, engineering and project risk management, and engineering close-out activities. Responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Provide comprehensive discipline expertise in all areas of Marine Systems Engineering in support programs by reviewing proposals, scopes of work, establishing budgets and schedules to ensure contract requirements are met;
- Provide comprehensive discipline expertise in all areas of Marine Systems Engineering by providing technical oversight for mechanical and electrical design and analysis;
- Direct technical staff for electrical and mechanical design activities to ensure timely completion;
- Resource plan mechanical and electrical resources to meet business requirements;
- Provide marine systems input during reviews in order to achieve customer, classification society and regulatory approval;
- Provide mentoring and technical advice to subordinate engineers in support of onboarding new staff and succession planning;
- Experience in the management of Ship design margins for electrical, HVAC and weight and stability will be an asset;
- Comprehensive understanding of mechanical and electrical design standards for naval platforms and the ability to specify analytical methods and tools;
- Comprehensive understanding of shock and vibration standards for naval platforms and the ability to specify analytical methods and tools;
- Experience in ship construction, design and maintenance will be an asset;
- Responsible for production drawings of various electrical and mechanical systems, including block diagrams, schematics, assemblies, etc.
- Manager designers and draftsman using 3D CAD tools and ensure drawings are produced in accordance with applicable drafting codes and standards;
- Work with manufacturing partners to introduce designs into production and solve related manufacturing issues;
- High level oral and written communication skills required for report writing and design justification documentation;
- Assist the Marketing Team on proposals.
Proven skills and experiences related to the responsibilities listed above
PRIMARY EDUCATION BACKGROUND AND COMPLEMENTARY TRAINING: Mechanical, Electrical or Marine Systems Engineering
Eligible for P.Eng. License required
10 years of experience in marine systems engineering (aspects of mechanical and electrical design)
Naval or Marine construction experience an asset
All applicants must be able to obtain a Canadian NATO Secret clearance and meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the Canadian Controlled Goods Registration Program and ITAR.
Thales thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thales is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applicants from the four designated groups (women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and aboriginals) to apply for employment. At Thales, we provide accessibility to people with disabilities. Should you require accommodations, please consult with your recruitment office