What You'll Do
You're STAR Big Data Developer and you will be part of a team responsible for defining and implementing the software platform to collect large volumes of data from diverse data sources, mining/analyzing the information, and building meaningful visualizations.
You will also get exposure to internal customer support and work with us to maintain a highly reliable and critical system.
Role & Responsibilities
- You'll develop & improve data collection engine, data aggregation and data accessing infrastructure.
- Design and implement the modeling of the structured and unstructured data.
- Develop data-mining and analytics methodologies
- Develop and improve the front-end Web applications for data visualizations
- Work with internal customers and apply the feedbacks and comments towards the improvement of the platform
- Work with peer teams on data integrations and presentations
- Automate unit, functional and system testing
- Support our user community by responding reactively to problems
- Follow very strong, high quality internal software development practices
- Work within Agile (scrum) team environment.
- You're deeply motivated, passionate about learning and contributing to the team and the business with "can do" attitude.
Who You'll Work With
Modernizing the Software Development Environment at Cisco, combining established tools from the industry and the open source community, along with extensive homegrown tools used by engineers at Cisco. This job aims at changing the way every engineer at Cisco lives, plays, works and learns!
Big Data Analytics & Reporting Software Developer to join our Ottawa team developing a big data analytics and reporting engine for Cisco engineering teams to monitor and manage the software quality, team productivity, product releases, and other operational trends.
Who You Are
- You're an Engineer typically with MSEE/BSEE/CS combined with 5-7 years of related experience. Deep understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals.
- Excellent knowledge of programming languages - particularly Java, Scala, and SQL/CQL
- You're expert big data collecting, re-modeling and indexing tools, such as Cassandra, Spark, Elastic Search, Solr, Kafka, Hadoop, Spark Streaming, Apache Storm, etc.
- Deep understanding of REST API and JSON.
- Hands-on experience in using source control and bug tracking systems, such as GIT, Gerrit, SVN, Perforce, Jira, Rally, BugZilla, etc.
- Creative analytical skills and excellent troubleshooting/debugging skills
- Strong written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work towards long-term goals
- Ability to collaborate and work closely with teammates, but also self-sufficient and can work independently
- May consider a strong Masters new grad; or Bachelors new grad with some work experience
- Previous experience in an Agile (Scrum) environment
- Intermediate level or higher of Python and Shell development experience
- Any experience with Machine Learning (private projects encouraged as well)
- Coding experience outside of work/school/course-work (links in your resume to GitHub are encouraged)
- Experience developing custom tools and scripts to support a large software development lifecycle
- Knowledge of Cisco technologies, routers, switches
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking aggressive risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who are ready to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are leaders with vision, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.