Established in 1972, Thales Canada is a leading electronic solutions provider for the Transportation, Defence & Security, and Aerospace sectors. Thales Canada employs staff across main sites located in Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.
Thales is known for its People1st philosophy and provides a competitive salary and benefits package. Join a dynamic and fast paced organization which is growing as a result of exciting new domestic and international projects.
To support our development, we are looking for a Project Cost Controller to represent Finance within the PMO organization in our Ottawa office. The Project Cost Controller will support Project Management for economical, finance and administrative tasks as well as perform cost control and project financial management functions. The Project Cost Controller will also be responsible to compile Thales accounting & internal control process, and deliver on time with reliable and documented information and reports.
· Monitors progress of project and identifies financial opportunities/exposure as it affects the company.
· Highlight any potential project cost impact with the schedule and recommend corrective actions.
· Responsible for the preparation of contract change orders to update financial data with the Project Manager (ie: Additional work requests (AWRs), Engineering Change Proposals (ECPs), additional task authorizations or contract ceiling amendments)
· Responsible for claims preparation as required.
· Interface via Project Manager with customer on billings, contract changes and other commercial matters.
· Understand project commercial terms & conditions to ensure that the project is in compliance with all of the financial terms and conditions of the contract.
· Provide analytical assistance on commercial negotiations of contract changes, claims etc. with customers and subcontractors.
· Responsible for project cost control and ensures that it is in conformance with company’s policy.
· Produces monthly project report (Dashboard) and forecasts data package with major risks and opportunities identified. These main tasks are: Actual cost validation, Commitment cost validation, Estimate to Complete (ETC) validation and control check.
· Produce external task forecasts of project burn-rate for level of effort contracts as required.
· Monthly control check & reconciliation of Bottom-up forecast from Primavera to the latest approved EAC; manage project cash flows.
· Analyzes/reconciles monthly project inventory accounts, when required by project, to ensure that project costs are properly reflected.
· Input and monitor the project budget and contract changes.
· Prepare billing and monitor invoice control of the project as required.
· Prepares and, validates with PM on monthly re-forecasting of Sales, GM, Cost Variance, AGM and Cash-in and ensures that the information is in time to be integrated into the monthly Company Operational Budget Review (OBR).
· Prepares, validates with PM on an annual basis the 3 years Multi-Year Budget Plan (MYB).
· Ensures internal control of project costing and maintains contract documents, including Project financial key data (Sales/GM/AGM/Risk & Opportunity/WIP/AR/Inventory).
· Ensure on-time compliance with all tax & government filing as applicable.
· Perform reconciliation analysis of all project specific accounts.
· Preparation of financial data and schedules for the annual filing of the Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax claim.
· Load and maintain the project schedule, milestones, baseline and EAC in Primavera.
· Support BCM in the maintenance and monitoring of R&D, Proposal and Internal Projects reporting.
· Support BCM in the monthly PCG processes – Tenrox Admin, monthly programmatic consolidation of all projects, financial analysis. Support or back-up internal pricing specialist on bids.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
· Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Arts (major in Accounting)
· Professional Accounting Designation (CMA or CGA) preferred
· 3 years’ experience in a financial role within a project environment
· Advanced skills and knowledge in MS Excel
· Good interpersonal skills, strong propensity to take initiative
· Ability to take on more administrative menial tasks
All applicants must be able to obtain a Canadian NATO Secret clearance and meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the Canadian Controlled Goods Registration Program and ITAR.
Thales is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applicants from the four designated groups (women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and aboriginals) to apply for employment. At Thales, we provide accessibility to people with disabilities. Should you require accommodations, please consult with your recruitment office and they will work with you to make any adjustments that best suit your individual needs.