Full Stack Web Developer
Details Published: Friday, 02 February 2018 12:27
Are you a software professional who enjoys creating solutions that customers love? Do you thrive on seeing projects from concept to delivery? Do you like working in smaller teams and seeing the entire solution? Our team is growing and Kongsberg Geospatial seeks system developers for a variety of projects.
We have full-time permanent positions available in our Ottawa office.
What You’ll Create
We develop systems that integrate complex sensor interfaces, data, and equipment. We tie it all together using an assortment of middleware technologies and present it using innovative modern graphical user interfaces. Our user experiences provide application operators visualization of geospatial map and terrain data, imagery, video feeds, and sensor controls overlaid with real time data.
Operators interact with our systems using many platforms including tablets, laptops, consoles, video walls and specialized military and air traffic control workstations.
Each of our systems is as unique as our customers; however they all share a critical need to display and act on real-time geographic data.
Small project teams up to 12 take full responsibility to design, develop and deliver systems typically in a 6-18 month timeframe. The team size and duration allows team members to become familiar with large portions of the system and have the opportunity to become subject matter experts for the technology we are integrating, often in customer facing roles.
What we’re Looking For
We are seeking a full stack developer for web application development. As a member of a motivated and structured development team, you will design and develop front and back end web based software components (as a service) as well as interfacing third party web service APIs.
Occasionally our stakeholders do not have all the answers when it comes to how they want things to work. Therefore, you will need to be a critical thinker and problem solver to provide ideas in order to drive requirements.
You should have a track record of designing and creating great user experiences for end users.
Our team sizes are small therefore you will be required to not only develop code, but also be an active participant in integrating and testing of code within the target solution; (we are looking for someone who can see “the big picture”, not just validate functionality at a unit level).
- Working directly with customers to solve specific requirements.
- Defining project scope and estimating implementation effort.
- Prototyping proof of concepts, requirements development, OO analysis, design, coding, testing, and delivery.
- When required, providing technical support to our sales activities.
- Assisting with project proposal preparation.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
You Should Have
- A Canadian security clearance or eligibility to obtain one
- A post-secondary degree in a field related to Computer Science or Engineering
- 5+ years experience in the full Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes in technology and scope of work
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate to internal and external stakeholders
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Required Areas of Experience
- Developing middle-tier code using NodeJS
- Integrating front-end code with middle-tier systems (message queues)
- Knowledge of how to design effective web based user interfaces using UX best practices (defining end user personas, journey maps, workflows and wireframes)
- Designing and developing RESTful, Websockets, and SOAP based web service APIs
- Strong understanding of web application development, including application design, session management, performance, and internationalization (localization)
- Using XML and JSON
- Relational and NOSQL database design (SQLLite, MongoDB, Redis)
- Deploying applications in a Linux server environment
- Build tools such as Gulp or Webpack
- Managing software configurations with Git or similar repository management tools
It Would be Great if You Have...
Experience in some of the following areas depending on your project and role:
- Open source web based geospatial APIs (OpenLayers)
- Agile development process
- Developing code in C++ using Qt/QML
- Experience and domain knowledge of geospatial technology
- Experience and domain knowledge with one or more of Defence, ATC, and UAV applications and operations
How to Apply: