Reporting to the Senior Manager, Linguistic Services and Official Languages, the Translator-Editor is responsible for providing high-quality linguistic services in English and in French to multiple clients at the RCM in support of the in-house, national and international operations that uphold one of Canada's flagship brands.?
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Translating independently, without supervision, a wide variety of texts from English into French (and occasionally from French into English) including complex, critical and specialized texts, and sensitive ministerial correspondence
- Editing regular and specialized French texts (and occasionally English texts) translated by suppliers before delivery to internal clients who may include the Board of Directors, the CEO, Vice-Presidents, etc.
- Proofreading print-ready literature in English and in French for high-profile products, including numismatic certificates, packaging, Web materials, etc. aimed at national and international clients
- Adapting advertising and marketing texts and slogans with localized, culturally-accurate equivalents
- Advising clients regarding French and English grammar, terminology and style
- Occasionally coordinating special projects
- Helping to update the electronic in-house terminology database
- Negotiating with clients and suppliers about deadlines
- Ensuring Lean and efficient use of resources (optimizing choice of texts for in-house translation vs. Outsourcing, coaching clients on best practices, etc.)
- Performing any other related tasks as directed by the Senior Manager, such as occasionally replacing the Administrative Coordinator with coordination tasks or the Editor-Terminologist.
- B.A. in Translation from a recognized university in the English to French combination; the French to English combination will also be considered
- Five years experience in translation and editing
- Outstanding mastery of written French, including ability to craft elegant, culturally-sensitive texts
- Proficiency in either financial or technical fields, or both, is a major asset.
- Thorough knowledge of English; the ability to translate idiomatically from French into English will be considered as a key asset
- Meticulous attention to detail, especially for proofreading print-ready or Web-ready deliverables
- Knowledge of translation memory and terminology management software, especially Multitrans/Flow
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software package and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to maintain a positive and cheerful attitude at work with colleagues and clients, even when working under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced, multidisciplinary corporate and manufacturing environments.
- Resourcefulness and creativity.
If you qualify for the mandatory requirements, and if the above describes your abilities and interests, please forward your resumÃ Ã © and cover letter in confidence to:
Royal Canadian Mint, Human Resources,
320 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G8
Fax : (613) 998-0272
e-mail : email@example.com
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The Royal Canadian Mint promotes equity in employment: As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.